Q: Rear window washer works when up but, stops when closed.

Recently purchased a 1997 Jeep Cherokee. The rear window washer works when the hatch is up but, as I close it it stops. I suspect a mercury switch but, having trouble locating it. I have removed the hatchback trim to access the wiring.

Also I replaced the light bulb over the license plate but, it doesn't appear to have current. I did add a Fuze to the Fuze Box.

Thanks for any advice.

A: Hi there. It sounds like you have broken wi...

Hi there. It sounds like you have broken wires in the harness to the lift gate. The harness that feeds from the body to the door is constantly being bent back and forth; similar to when we remove a soda can tab. Eventually, this constant movement causes the wires to start breaking. This is probably the same reason there seems to be no power to the tag lights. Either remove the harness boot and inspect or lower the headliner to inspect the wire harness for broken wires and repair as necessary. I suggest having a qualified technician perform an inspection to avoid replacing unnecessary parts and confirm whether or not there are broken wires present. Your Mechanic has several available technicians that can assist you with an electrical problems inspection.