Q: Rear sensor replacement did not fix speedometer needle

Recently I had the the rear sensor replaced because the speedometer needle was not working properly. I could tell I was going around 30 mph because I was traveling the same speed as the other cars and the speed limit was 35 mph; however, it would show around 15 mph. It’s dangerous to not know how fast I’m going! I don’t want a ticket. The odometer is working just fine. Replacing the rear sensor did nothing to fix the speedometer needle. Is this something that I can reset myself?

A: Hello. If the sensor is fine then the instr...

Hello. If the sensor is fine then the instrument panel is the problem. It is common for the motor that runs the speedometer needle to fail and cause this. It would require that the instrument panel be replaced. If you need to have this done, consider YourMechanic, as a certified mechanic can come to your home or office to inspect the problem.