Q: Rear seal leaking and the axle shaft bending on a 2002 Jeep Liberty

2002 Jeep Liberty leaking rear seal; replaced it twice. Now I'm going with a new axle shaft. What goes wrong with that axle shaft--it bends. How do I check for the bends? Trying to figure out if anything else has gone wrong. I've been to a mechanic and got the right side seal and I put it back where he played on.

A lot of things can go wrong. You want to pray that it’s not the actual part of the engine worn and wobbling and eating the seal out, because if the shaft is bent (and this often happens) --you’d want to check the motor and transmission mounts, too. Because, if the motor or transmission mounts are worn, then the engine and transmission bounces around a lot and the shaft bounces too much and starts to leak.

A lot of times, that’s it. Now, when it comes to the seal, my advice is to go to the dealer. Go to a Jeep dealer and buy the seals from them. You don’t want to mess with the aftermarket because you want something that is perfectly made. I myself sometimes have gotten aftermarket seals for those and I put them on and they leaked a month or two later because the seals were bad. Now, when I work on those, the only things I use are the dealer’s Jeep seals. I won’t buy them anywhere else.