Q: Rear end shifts side to side when picking up speed and driving. What could it be?

Driving down the interstate and my car began to sway and pull side to side iwas able to tighten my front passenger side spindle nut started to drive again and the shift got worse and had a metal scrapping sound accompanying it.

Hi there. Check the wheel hub assemblies on the vehicle. Feel the wheel hubs for any looseness and listen for any grinding noise coming from them. Dry wheel bearings will cause the wheel assembly to wobble and make the vehicle move around or even float around at highway speeds. If the wheel hub assemblies are tight, then check the engine and transmission mounts for if they are loose or broken. A loose or broke engine and transmission mount will cause the wheels to move as the vehicle is throttled hard. If you need further assistance with your vehicle’s rear axle shifting from side to side, then seek out a professional, such as one from Your Mechanic, to help you.

3. Rear end shifts side to side when picking up speed and driving. What could it be?