Q: Rear differential

I wanted to know if its safe to drive a car with a bad rear differential for temporary until it gets fixed and only like city not far and how much would it be to get it repaired on a mustang gt '02 v8?

A: The amount of service life left before the ...

The amount of service life left before the differential, say, seizes, depends on exactly what’s wrong with it. Of course, be sure to check and make sure you are not just running it dry without adequate fluid thus causing lots of noise. If it is dry or fluid is low, although you may have caused some damage, at least adding fluid now could make it usable for a while longer. One potential issue is, if you intend to rebuild your existing unit, or have YourMechanic do it, the more you drive on it now the fewer internal parts are likely to be re-usable. So, for example, if you merely have a defective roller bearing right now, rebuilding it now could allow use of maybe all of the parts, but if you drive it until the bearing falls apart, the metal debris spread through the gears will damage them, basically necessitating replacing the whole differential or finding a good core to rebuild. So, again, to answer your question on the cost, it depends on what parts have to be replaced and perhaps even on whether you have a rebuildable core. If what you have is not rebuildable, a used unit would have to be procured (not hard to find) and the used unit might have to be inspected and repaired, too, before your use of it. If you need assistance, a certified YourMechanic technician can be dispatched to your location to help with replacement of your rear differential.