Q: Rear differential

I have 2 528i bmws one is a lot nicer but the rear differential went out and the trashed one has a a good rear end what kind of tools would i need to take the whole differential off

Firstly, you will need equipment to safely raise and suspend the vehicle while working under it. A transmission jack or similar to support the exhaust (original system is 1-piece front-to-back) and the differential itself for removal and re-installation. Torx bolt sockets (M8, M10 and M12), and a full assortment of regular metric sockets (1/2" drive mostly). 17mm allen wrench or bit to change fluid before putting in "donor" diff. Also, this repair requires a buddy to assist with the heavy bits. A task like this task will pretty much take up a Saturday.

If you need assistance with this, consider YourMechanic, as one of our mobile technicians can come to your home to inspect and service your vehicle.

3. Rear differential