Q: rear brakes and disk

hi there I've done a service and mot on my bmw series1 and left the garage very unsure about the work done. I left my car at the garage at 10am and by 4pm they had not finished and said the system was down therefore i left the car there for the work to be finished the next day. to my surprise the car was driven over 10miles and the explanation used was that hey had to go to another garage but its only 3miles away so i'm really unsure on their work advice since they also have a lot of complaints about extra added work. My advisory says: the brake pad is wearing thin at rear (3.5.1g) rear disc worn but not seriously weakened rear (3.5.li) Is this unsafe because the guy made me feel like its really dangerous and I should do it straight away. that also my insurance will not cover me because if this.

Hi there:

Anytime you feel uncomfortable about taking your vehicle to a mechanic or shop, you should always have a second opinion completed; especially in this case. The measurements they offered you do indicate that the brake pads and rotors are wearing thin; and with 82,000 miles on your BMW; it’s likely due for this service. Insurance wouldn’t cover normal wear and tear on a vehicle; and brakes are designed to wear out over time. My advice to you is to let a professional mobile mechanic come to you and complete a brake system inspection; so they can determine what needs to be repaired. Once we determine what needs to be completed, we’ll be able to get a quote on parts and service and can complete the service as well.

3. rear brakes and disk