Q: Rear and side lights malfunction

My car has a mileage of around 120,000 miles and recently the check engine light came on. The car is usually running fine. When I start it and press the check button, it indicates the issue with the rear lights. I've had the spark plugs replaced recently. I regularly change the oil. All the fuses check out fine, except some of them that looked worn, which I replaced. All other lights work properly, including the signals, front lights, back up and brake lights. However, there is still a problem with side and rear ones that have been malfunctioning. What should I do to fix this?

You may already know that your Audi has a sophisticated exterior lighting system that is computer controlled, monitors its own operation for faults, and communicates with other computer controlled systems on the car’s network. This means that when it’s time to diagnose a system fault, a scan tool is required that is compatible with Audi.

One thing you can do is inspect all the exterior lights carefully making sure all of them illuminate normally. All the bulbs installed must be the correct number or it can cause issues. There is also a Lamp Control Module involved in the operation of the system. Proper function of the brake pedal switch is an important input to your car’s overall operation. These are the types of tests that require a scan tool to check for faults. If you want to have this looked at, a certified technician from YourMechanic can come to your car’s location to diagnose your light issues.

3. Rear and side lights malfunction