Q: Really weird glare on the dash

There is a glare coming off of the dashboard in my 2010 Mazda3 because the sun has melted the plastic into a shiny, sticky spot. This spot is quite large and if you put your hand on it, it will leave residue. I have driven this car for 87,000 miles and I live in a hot area, so I am not shocked. I am more grossed out by the dust and hair stuck to it. Is this a defect or are cars just not really meant to handle the heat in the southern states?

Hello, having a glare on the windshield is distracting. A melted dashboard has affected a couple of manufacturers. Researching this, I have come across a pending class action law suit for the melting dashboard. You can have the dashboard replaced or you can install a carpeted dash cover. The dash cover works quite well since they are a dull color and tend to cause little to no glare against the windshield. If you go the route of the dash cover be sure to document that the damage to the dashboard was there before you install the cover.