Q: Really hard to shift, trans is jammed now

I was having trouble shifting my 2008 Nissan Rogue the other day. I pulled over and turned the car off. When I turned the car back on, I couldn’t shift the transmission. I'm pretty sure the whole CVT transmission is malfunctioning. The drivetrain (and rest of the vehicle) has 154,000 miles on it. What is the most reliable way to replace a transmission on a tight budget?

A continuously variable transmission (CVT) is a specialized unit and performs a great deal of work propelling the vehicle in forward and reverse. Being that the car is not drivable, are there any warning indicators on in the instrument cluster like a Check Engine light? Have you seen any leaks in your parking space? If so, it just might be low on CVT fluid. Fluid level is critical for the Nissan CVT and fluid should not just be topped off, as it needs to be checked at the proper temperature with a scanner. The Nissan CVT requires a special fluid from Nissan. With no leaks, the vehicle needs to be connected to a scanner to see if there are any fault codes present in the transmission control unit. The fluid level check with a scanner can be performed by a certified mechanic from YourMechanic. If you have had all your maintenance done at a Nissan dealer, you might want to contact them to see if they can provide any factory support.