Q: rattling dash

I am looking to buy a used car privately and it has a minor rattle on the dash and was just wondering if this would be something easily fixed or a large task, hence shouldnt buy the car? It seems something is loose in the dash not engine. thanks

A: Hello. I will be glad to help you with your...

Hello. I will be glad to help you with your question about the 2012 Subaru that you are considering purchasing. Of course, the current owner could potentially hold the key to the answer because he may have already made "inquiries" about the problem and thus know something about the source of the issue. Presumably you have already asked though. Generally speaking, if a rattle anywhere will be "easily" identified it will be on a part or location that is "visible" to the Mechanic.

Such at least eliminates the need for a long search, and the related disassembly, around other items. However, even if the component rattling is visible, or reliably guessed at based on location and other clues, there can still be quite a bit of very tedious disassembly of the dash involved. Obviously, all rattles are repairable and so if this is an otherwise exemplary car at any already reasonable price, one possible course to solve the problem is to just discount the price enough to at least partly cover the cost of the repair. Just make sure the car does not have other problems. YourMechanic does offer professional pre-purchase inspections of vehicles and that could be a big benefit for you in this case. Indeed, during such an inspection it is possible the Mechanic could himself, or herself, figure out the source of the rattle if it is out in the open enough. Let us know how we can further assist you with your purchase decision or if you would like to have a pre-purchase inspection done.