Q: Rattle noise.

Recently my car has been making a rattling noise from the under carage of the car it sound like a rattle at sometimes it smells like it is burning. My car has started to overheat just recently and when it gets hot the noise get louder and occasionally the car will stop and won't start and all you hear is a rattle noise. Other than that the car runs just fine I am fearful to drive it until I understand what is wrong please help.

The rattle you may be hearing is the catalyst which is broken up inside and is partly blocking the exhaust. The blockage may be severe enough to completely block the exhaust causing the no start, or stall and overheat. Have the vehicle diagnosed to see if the exhaust is the cause or if you have internal engine problems.

Either way have the vehicle checked out by a qualified mechanic, they will be able to pinpoint the noise and diagnose the other symptoms you’re experiencing to find what exactly is going wrong. Once that is done, an accurate repair can be made.