Q: Randomly shuts off

My car will just shut off while I'm driving. Like when I get off the freeway and come to a stop the car may shut off, but it always starts right back up.

On some of the older GM models, the vehicle with a lock up automatic transmission converter will not release the locked up converter due to a solenoid inside the transmission is sticking on. You will need to have the transmission overdrive solenoid replaced and the valve body and filter checked for excessive metal or debris in the transmission pan indicating that the transmission needs to be replaced or overhauled. Most of the time, the overdrive solenoid can be replaced along with a transmission filter and fluid change to fix the problem. If you would like to have an expert pinpoint the problem, a certified professional from YourMechanic can come to your car’s location to diagnose the stalling issue.

3. Randomly shuts off