Q: Random misfire cont.

Thanks for the reply Rocco, and I apologize to had forgot to mention that I had replaced the spark plugs, and the coil packs not too long ago and also diagnosed them to see if they were good or bad by unplugging one by one and got a change of idle with every one I unplugged. I had bought new O2 sensors as well, put in a new main relay, new FPR, new fuel pump, I've put in water remover along with injector cleaner in the tank. I couldn't include the parts in the last post since I ran out of space to include it, but yea I did replace a number of things to narrow it down to that. I'm in Philadelphia and there are a lot of people who own this kind of Honda, yet don't have this issue. I guess I'm the one who got lucky with the car that likes attention.

A: It definitely appears that this may be an i...

It definitely appears that this may be an issue that needs some special attention. While at first it can seem that all Honda cars are the same, every once in a while you come across one that gives symptoms that are out of the norm. I can see that you have been trying to tackle this concern for a while now and replacing all of those parts is good regardless of the problem it is experiencing. It is definitely a good investment since the parts you replaced are wear items and your car is high mileage.

I have worked with Honda’s for a long time and while some concerns can be diagnosed with a few questions, there are a few situations that need the experience of an in person inspection. I do have a few questions that may help us head in the right direction though. Does the misfire only happen while you are accelerating? Is it consistent or intermittent? If so, a transmission concern can definitely make it feel like the vehicle is misfiring, so it is important to be aware of that. Also, is there a Check Engine Light on while this is happening? If so, what are the codes? When you replaced the spark plugs, which plugs did you use? Were you careful to not over tighten them? Did you use anti seize on the spark plugs and if you did, be sure you used a very small amount.

A bad fuel injector or even a problem with the valve train can also repeat what you are experiencing. Also, be sure to double check all of your ground straps. Disconnect, sand both the ground strap and the bare metal that it is attached to, and reinstall. Honda’s tend to do weird things when the ground straps do not have a solid connection, due to corrosion build up. All in all though, with a situation like this, it is difficult to diagnose your Accord without physically seeing it, and more importantly, driving the car to experience the concern.

It is best to have a certified mechanic stop by in person and go over your car from bumper to bumper to best diagnose the misfire.