Q: Random hiccups and fuel problems, what could it be?

I have a really frustrating problem with my 2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee. The car has around 65,000 miles on it but it runs alright, even if it sometimes has a little hiccup on startup. When I turn it off, though, the fuel pump has a tendency to run on its own. I am worried that permanent damage may be occurring to the fuel pump or other parts of the fuel system. On multiple occasions, this running fuel pump issue totally killed by battery and I had to jump it in the morning. I have no idea where to even start diagnosing this problem, there are not any fuses out. What is happening here?

A: The fuel pump relay is most likely staying ...

The fuel pump relay is most likely staying engaged even though you have turned it off. A malfunctioning fuel pump relay can also lead to the pump not turning on at all or it shutting off intermittently and without warning. This could be dangerous if it happens while driving.

The fuel pump relay is inside the Total Integrated Power Module (TPIM) and is not serviceable separately, but there is a recall campaign RC-R09-15 that covers your vehicles TPIM replacement. Contact your local dealer and supply your vehicle information as requested in order see if your vehicle is covered.

If your dealer cannot cover the repairs, contact YourMechanic for a diagnostic check and quote for the repairs needed.