Q: Random hard shifts

My Jeep is hard to shift. It doesn't happen all the time, but when it does, I hear bump-like sounds under the vehicle and I feel like someone has run into the back of my Jeep. What causes this problem?

The most likely cause of your issue based on the symptoms described would be a faulty transmission mount. The transmission mount is a rubber piece that is inserted between the transmission and the body of the vehicle and is used to absorb shock and impact during shifts as well as keep the transmission secured to the vehicle.

If the rubber on this mount has been compromised, the transmission will now have some movement up, down, or side-to-side. Due to this extra movement, the transmission will jerk more than normal while shifting. Since the transmission is a heavy object, this jerk tends to shake the entire vehicle. I would recommend having a qualified mechanic take a look at your transmission mount(s) to ensure that they are working properly.

3. Random hard shifts