Q: Random difficulty starting

Hi. My car with a 1.4 L diesel engine has difficulty starting half of the time I attempt to get it running. I would put the key in and turn it, but there is no turn around. After several tries, it would finally turn over. It would start immediately and work fine if I first put it in gear and then get the car jump-started. What do you think could be the problem here? Thank you.

Hello. There could be several things going on with your 2005 Ford Fiest. First, there could be a bad spot in your starter causing the intermittent start. You could also have faulty glow plugs causing the car to have a hard start also. If it starts after putting it into gear, this could mean that you have a bad neutral safety switch which could cause this problem. It is also possible that there is a problem with the battery and charging system. I would suggest that you have a certified technician, like one from YourMechanic, inspect and test these systems in order to pinpoint the starting problem.

3. Random difficulty starting