Q: Radio or other electronic bits act weird

My 2011 Volkswagen Jetta is still pretty new, with approximately 22,000 miles on it. I like the car and it does what I need, but it has a lot of quirks that make me worry about the electronics. The radio will randomly blip off or a light will illuminate on the dashboard. The Check Engine light has been coming on and turning back off a lot lately. At what point should I have it checked out? I don’t want to show up with a car that doesn’t have any lights illuminating on the dashboard and is running fine.

A: The Check Engine light coming on is an indi...

The Check Engine light coming on is an indication of a problem which is emissions related. When the light turns off, it means the problem did not reoccur for a period of time. The computer will store any failure codes in it’s memory, so the problem can still be diagnosed even if the light is not on when you go in to have your car checked. The radio cutting out may also leave a code in the computer. Other owners with similar complaints needed to have the radio replaced. You should have your Check Engine light professionally diagnosed by a mechanic; a certified mechanic with YourMechanic can perform the diagnosis at the convenience of your home or office.