Q: Radio Fault

Hi there,

This is Kritesh…I am interested to contact your regarding my car radio.

I am emailing just to get advice regarding my car radio and Toyota Prius is new in our country and we have less experts in the field in Fiji.

I have Toyota Prius, Model: 2010, NHW20 or 1.5L model.

I drove my car and radio was working until I parked safely at home, radio was working fine. Next morning I turned on the car, it turned on but the radio didn’t turned on. The main screen is working, all buttons on it is working fine…when I press radio button, it says “AUDIO OFF”.

I checked this with technicians in my country and they said I need to change the whole radio. That was shocking to me as they said that only by turning on the car and said fuse is ok but radio needs to be changed.

I would like to seek second opinion from experts like you to be sure why my radio failed and what are the possible ways to fix that up.

Can you reply response to my email: kritesh.chand@fnu.ac.fj

Regards. Kritesh.

Hi Kritesh. It sounds like the stereo amplifier in your vehicle has failed internally, lost power, lost ground, or lost signal from the radio. Perform a quick check of the radio functions; change stations, adjust volume, etc... If all of these are showing proper changes on screen, then the problem definitely lies in the amplifier area. Using an electrical wiring diagram, locate the power source and ground for the amplifier and check with a digital volt ohm meter; repair as necessary. Based on my experience with Toyota & Lexus, I’ve found that the amplifier fails much more often than the radio. I suggest having a qualified technician perform an inspection to avoid replacing unnecessary parts. If available in your arear, Your Mechanic has several available technicians that can assist you with a radio has no sound inspection.