Q: Radio booms and quit working

The radio in my car makes a very loud booming-type sound and it has quit working. The radio does come on, but there is no sound. If I turn the volume up, there is a low muffled noise coming from all the speakers. In your expertise, is this a coil or radio failure?

When this occurs, the most likely cause is the radio’s amplifier. Depending on what audio unit, your car was equipped with this may be located inside the radio itself or it may have a standalone amplifier. When the amplifier dies, it can emit the low buzzing signal as the only output. A qualified technician, such as one from YourMechanic, will be able to diagnose your radio and determine what repairs are appropriate.

3. Radio booms and quit working