Q: Radiator is no good, went through a few

My 2006 Ford Explorer is currently on its third radiator. The vehicle in question has only 55,000 miles on it and now I am seeing coolant leaking from this radiator as well. I am so tired of taking this truck in for the same service! Is there a way to rectify this problem for good or do I need to get rid of it? I am out of solutions.

The computer controlled fan on these vehicles comes on and goes off at a certain temperature and is controlled by the engine control module. Ford has come out with a Technical Service Bulletin (TSB) 09-8-1, dated 5/8/2009. The TSB calls for an updated radiator and reprogramming of the engine control module to change the fan strategy of when and what temperature it comes on and goes off. I would also recommend a thermostat and radiator cap replacement - the thermostat, since it controls coolant flow through the engine and the radiator cap, since it relieves excessive pressure. Also make sure you are using compatible coolant with your vehicle.