Q: Quick ignition fails

Lately I have to open the ignition and wait 4 seconds until the D, ABS, and brake lights go out with a faint click on the dash display and then turn to start the engine. There is also a soft hum during those 4 seconds. If I don't wait, it'll start just fine but dies when I switch my foot to the brake. Then it keeps doing it even if I wait, until I let sit for about 20 minutes. If I don't forget to wait 4 seconds to turn the key, it'll start just fine for up to 186 times over a period of two months ( I've counted them). So is it software or hardware problem? Also if I don't want to wait 20 minutes till it resets whatever, I have been able to take off by stepping on the brake with my left foot while keeping my right gently on the gas while I shift to drive. Once I get going its just fine.

Hi and thanks for contacting YourMechanic. Firstly, you should not drive with the foot on the brake and gas for it will wear out your brakes sooner. Second, check the brake light switch, as it has a connection to the computer system. The vehicle will not start if the brake pedal is not down. Check the brake switch for any corrosion and damage. I recommend replacing the switch if you cannot find anything wrong with it. If you need further assistance diagnosing your vehicle, a certified YourMechanic technician can be dispatched to your location to inspect your difficulties starting your vehicle.