Q: Question on fixing Ford Focus AC

I went to a mechanic and he told me I need to change the compressor on my focus which I knew.. then he ended up telling me I needed to buy the whole kit..which he wanted to charge me 500 for everything. I just really wanted to know how crucial it is to change the whole kit? And if I could possibly get by with just changing the compressor.

If the kit consists of a compressor, clutch, system dryer, system oil, o-rings, and refrigerant, then all of that is essential. If parts other than that just listed are included, those other parts would have to have been separately diagnosed as "failed" to justify the cost of replacing them. So, none of the foregoing parts are "optional" and, in particular, if you omit the system dryer, the whole job is really useless because if you re-use the old dryer you run the risk of having circulating moisture once the system is closed up. Indeed, if by chance the kit does not include the dryer and/or you determine (by questioning) that the mechanic has no intention of installing a brand new system dryer, run for the exits because the mechanic would then be judged incompetent. As you may know, YourMechanic offers comprehensive a/c system refurbishment and because the service is mobile, right to your door, the cost is lower. If you desire compressor replacement, please refer to YourMechanic’s a/c compressor replacement service page and a/c dryer service page. If you have further questions or concerns, do not hesitate to re-contact YourMechanic because we want you to make the most of your repair dollars and help you to get the best possible results.

3. Question on fixing Ford Focus AC