Q: Putting K&N short ram intake in a 2011 Mazda 3 Sport

I have a 2011 Mazda 3 Sport, 2.6-liter. It has 72,000 kilometers and I want to put a K&N short ram intake. Is there any problem I can expect to run into or is it mostly harmless? Also, what sort of maintenance should I do on 72,000 miles?

First, I wouldn’t recommend adding a short ram intake. Race cars have those short ram intakes on them, but they are programed by professional mechanics who use dynamometers and 5 gas analyzers to make the car run as efficiently as possible at high speed.

If you just bolt something like that on, a lot of times, the Check Engine Light will come on, because it confuses the computer in your car. In order to put one on and have it work right, you have to go to someone who knows how to modify it and pay him an awful lot of money to reprogram your computer.

So, I would leave that alone. The main thing you should do, at 72,000 kilometers (~37,000 miles) is try to maintain the car with such a small amount of mileage. Just do the thing that you would normally do like: change the oil on filter at regular intervals and you might pull the wheels off and check the brake pads to see if they are thin. It’s a five-year-old car, so you can check the fan belts to see if they are worn and that hoses have all the fluids. But since you don’t have that many miles there shouldn’t be anything that is too worn out yet.

3. Putting K&N short ram intake in a 2011 Mazda 3 Sport