Q: Pulling engine

Do I have to pull the tranny with the engine?

Hey there,

Thanks for submitting your question in regards to your 97 Toyota T-100 and the future engine pull. The quick answer to your question is no, you don’t need to pull the transmission along with your engine, but it’s extremely difficult to just pull the motor itself. The problem exists in trying to gain access to the transmission bolts that attach the engine to the trans-axle under the vehicle. In fact, I’ve yet to meet a person who can physically accomplish this feat, especially if the vehicle is not on a rack.

If you’re going to remove the engine because you’re completing a cylinder head rebuild or complete engine rebuild, it’s simply much easier and safer to remove the tranny at the same time. Plus, this would allow you to inspect and rebuild the transmission, especially if it’s an automatic and you’re seeing indications of transmission fluid leaking. In that case replace any seals, gaskets, and other important components that link the engine with the transmission.

The safe play here is to contact another ASE certified mechanic that can come to the location of your car and inspect any symptoms the car is exhibiting and let you know how to best proceed in this situation.