Q: Surging idle

Protege idles at 3k on cold start, then settles to 2k, then starts surging, i press the clutch pedal then surging stops, what could that be?

Hello, I would start with checking things like the idle control valve and looking for vacuum leaks. Additional things to check might be an EGR valve that may be stuck open or clogged EGR ports, an intermittent or faulty connection at the mass air flow sensor, fuel pressure problems or even a faulty throttle position sensor. Checking any of these components should give you the proper direction in which to narrow down your surge problem. If you need additional help, please reach out to us here at YourMechanic as we are here to help.