Q: Problems with the automatic transmission

Hello, my audi a4 recently had a problem with the transmission when reversing, the transmission goes into safe mode and then I have to turn it off and put it into drive mode. Do you know if this can be repaired without getting a new transmission?

Hi there:

It really depends on what’s triggering the "safe mode" on your Audi A4. In most cases, this issue is caused by a restriction on hydraulic fluid pressure inside the transmission; which is typically due to debris clogged in the lines. In this instance a simple transmission flush or gasket / filter replacement could fix your issues without having to replace the transmission. The best thing to do here is have a professional mobile mechanic complete a transmission fluid service and complete a check engine light inspection; so they can download any stored error codes from the ECU to determine if there are other electrical issues causing your Audi’s transmission problems.

3. Problems with the automatic transmission