Q: Problems with my reverse gear

When I engage reverse gear, the 'gear selection' display turns red and then the car doesn't have any pick-up power when I press on the gas pedal. This happens also in Drive until I stop and engage Drive again - then the car moves. It happens in drive, only if I had previously been in reverse. What can you tell me about this type of problem? Thanks.

A: This is most likely an internal issue in th...

This is most likely an internal issue in the transmission. Normally when reverse starts to slip it is attributed to the B clutch. But since you are losing forward gears as well, there may be an issue with the G brake, which is engaged in both drive and reverse.

The transmission either needs to be overhauled or replaced if either the B clutch or G brake is faulty.

Other possibilities could be a faulty valve body, pressure control solenoid, or torque converter. You may need to seek out a transmission shop to get an accurate diagnosis and repair.