Q: Problems with car after buying

I have a few problems with my car. First off, the air conditioner is only blowing hot air. I just purchased the car, with no warranty, and was told by Midas that there is a serious lack in the rack and pinion and that the car won't pass smog. The place I bought it from never gave me a DSR, so that I could register it. I want to know if the car is worth keeping and fixing.

A: Generally, foreign vehicles are expensive t...

Generally, foreign vehicles are expensive to maintain, and especially to fix. No warranty means you will have to front the bill on your own.

The air conditioning concern could be a number of things from blown fuses to a low system charge, or even malfunctioning parts.

The rack and pinion is a major component in your power steering system. Once all of the fluid has leaked out, damage can occur to the system pump and you lose power steering assist. With a large leak, this situation can arise at any moment while driving which makes the vehicle unsafe.

You can take your time repairing the vehicle starting with the concerns making the vehicle unsafe. The safety of you and others is the number one concern and a number of states do allow waivers to people where you can show proof that you are trying to get the issues worked out. Older cars can be a hassle and expensive to fix one time after another, but you may still come out cheaper this way rather than having a $600-$800 a month car note for 3+ years on a brand new one.

I suggest that you hire a mechanic, a reasonable one like the ones here at YourMechanic, to spot the problems around the vehicle with a 75-point inspection and help you prioritize your list.