Q: Problem with the shift cable

Originally, I had a problem with the shift cable, but now the car will not start.

The problem still may be with the shift cable, but now the cable is not putting the transmission all the way into Park, which would allow the system to enable the starter. This is a safety feature that keeps you from starting the vehicle when it is in gear. Have a certified mechanic check the cable and linkage, to see if a grommet bushing has failed and only that needs to be replaced, or if the cable has to be replaced. I recommend that you have a mechanic, like the ones from YourMechanic, start by diagnosing the cause of your car not starting.