Q: problem with starter maybe?

problem started today. went to turn on the ignition and heard a loud grinding sound and no start. turned the key about 4 times with it doing this, it finally started on the 5th try. no other weird noises apart from the loud grinding noise at initial start, seemed to drive fine after that. drove for a little and then restarted it with no issue.

Hello. Will be happy to assist you. It does sound like you have an issue with the bendix gear of your starter. Possibly a starter on as last leg and or on its way out. If the starter is bad that wouldn’t be surprising on a 2002 vehicle to happen. A starter can be tested through the battery but the best way to test the starter is to remove it from the engine and perform what’s known as bench testing. Bench testing can be done at your local parts store or by a technician with the proper equipment. If the starter passes the bench testing you may have an issue with your ignition lock cylinder.

3. problem with starter maybe?