Q: Problem with fuel gauge - 2000 Ford Escort

Hi i just changed my fuel pump its actually a fiesta since i took it out the garage the fuel gauge goes from normal say half or full to empty this has been happening for a month today i was driving and the car cut out I waited a few minutes and it started again after driving for five minutes the car cut out again at present there is a quarter tank of petrol what do u think the problem is

A: Hello. There are a few issues you are going...

Hello. There are a few issues you are going to need to look into, and go through until you find the real issue. You can start by scanning the vehicle for diagnostic troubleshooting codes. This may or may not give you a lead on the issue.

However, the issue may be a faulty fuel pump to begin with. It is not impossible for a new part to be broken or faulty when you get it. If the pump is good, the connection may be bad. You will want to look at connection from the computer to the fuel module. Both the power supply, and communication to the computer are run through the same terminal. The connection may be loose or damaged. This would explain why the pump cut out and wasn’t getting power, and why the fuel gauge has not be getting a good reading from the sensor.

If you’d like to get this fixed, consider YourMechanic, as one of our mobile technicians can come to you and diagnose the issue with your gauge for an accurate repair.