Q: problem with clutch or transmission or both

my friend was driving in 4th gear, accidentally tried to put it into 1st gear, made a grinding noise then she quickly put it back into 4th gear, now my clutch does not seem to be working, i can start the car with the clutch engaged (although since i am able to start the car with the clutch engaged, the clutch must be working to some extent) but when i put it into 1st gear, it jerks forward and immediately stalls out, is there something wrong with the clutch (it doesn't feel right when you press down on the clutch) or is there a problem with the transmission, or a problem with both?

It does not sound like you are having an internal transmission failure. It sounds like you have a clutch issue. Most of the time when this occurs the clutch plate either breaks or the pressure plate loses one of its springs. Both will cause this to occur. It can even be binding in the throw out bearing in the clutch. The transmission would need to be removed from the vehicle in order to properly diagnose this. You should have a transmission specialist check it out.