Q: Problem with acceleraton

I have a 1996 Toyota Hilux, manual. When I drive and change into 2nd gear, I put my foot on the acceleration and for some reason the acceleration is sticking and accelerating by itself. I don't know why it's happening. Also, when I take it out of gear to stop or if I put in the clutch it makes a loud noise

Hi, thanks for writing in. I’d be happy to help. If the accelerator pedal is sticking, this will be due to the throttle cable, gas pedal assembly or the throttle plate. The throttle body contains the throttle plate. Throttle bodies regularly build up carbon that make the gas pedal hard to push as well as making it stick open. When this occurs, I begin by cleaning the throttle body with carburetor cleaner and seeing if this is the only problem. If it still sticks, the next thing to do is disconnect the throttle cable from the throttle plate and see if the throttle pedal in still difficult to move. If it is, disconnect the cable from the gas pedal and see if the gas pedal is still hard to move. Also, move the throttle cable by hand. It should slide in and out of its housing easily.

As for as why it happens when shifting into second gear, it could be there is a binding in the throttle cable when the motor torques around. I have seen this sort of thing happen quite frequently on older vehicles. The shift from first to second typically creates the most force in a car. I would imagine the noise is the excessive revving that will occur from the throttle sticking.

Another possibility is that the throttle return spring could be broken or missing. This is a fairly easy thing to check.

Hope this helps and best of luck!

If you would like help with any of this or are still stuck, consider having an expert automotive technician from YourMechanic come to your home or office to inspect and diagnose this issue for you, and make or suggest any repairs as needed.

3. Problem with acceleraton