Q: Pressure valve cover rings

I am having issues with back pressure coming through the valve cover ring. It’s blowing oil back through the ring. Is this pressure good or bad, because I’m not sure. But I don’t know why it’s coming through the valve cover. I checked all the lines, and they aren’t clogged as far as I can see. And I don’t know what else to look for. My car runs good, but I didn’t take it on the freeway yet just in case it’s in bad shape. What are your suggestions and ideas on this?

A: The pressure you are observing is not a goo...

The pressure you are observing is not a good thing. First off, check to see if the positive crankcase ventilation valve (PCV valve) is clogged up. If it is, then it should be replaced. Also check to see if the crankcase breather hoses are crimped, preventing crankcase gases to be vented through the PCV into the engine for combustion at appropriate times. If the piston rings are worn excessively, even a properly operating PCV system cannot handle these high levels of crankcase fumes. A certified professional from YourMechanic can inspect your vehicle, and replace your PCV valve if necessary.