Q: Power windows failed after seldom being opened

The power windows in my car have failed. Something stronger than the plastic guide needs to be used; the plastic guide just is not strong enough. Also, I know that just the guides can not be replaced since Buick has them moulded to the regulator arm. The whole thing must be replaced, even if there is no failure in the regulator. I had a mechanic to tell me that it is a design flaw. The passenger window was the first to go, then the rear driver’s-side window broke and then the driver’s window. The driver’s window had been opened less than 10 times and the rear window less then 5. Hundreds of dollars per window. Since my car is no longer manufactured, is that why windows are more expensive than I’ve heard of the price of newer models’ windows?

A: Hello. We will be happy to help you. The wi...

Hello. We will be happy to help you. The window issue you’re having with your Buick Roadmaster is a well-known problem for early 1990s GM cars. GM stopped making the plastic guides and started using nylon. You can purchase them from Advanced Auto part number 74444. The guides can be replaced but the you will need a drill or a riveting tool to remove them. An auto repair service provider such as YourMechanic can assist you with scheduling a technician capable of diagnosing the issue with your windows and removing/installing the rivets to replace the guides on your windows.