Q: Power window not coming up

The power window motor sounds like it is running, but the window will not come up. It sounds like it may have come apart in the linkage.

You are exactly right and this happens to be a very common problem. The window regulator is the part we are talking about, it is sold separately from the power window motor or sold together as a unit, which is how I recommend it be replaced. The regulator is the part that bolts the door to the door glass and window motor. The track and pulleys are the components that moves the glass up and down inside your door. As they age, and the seals harden up and cause the glass to bind the stress causes it to break. However, the motor will still run when the switch is pressed, which is the noise you are hearing. I recommend replacing the window motor/regulator together as an assembly. I would recommend having a mechanic, such as one from YourMechanic, come inspect your vehicle’s windows to repair the problem.