Q: Power window failure

My quarter window recently stopped working. for a while it had been kind of hesitant and seemed to be trying too hard to go up. now it doesn't move at all. I replaced the window motor just now, but have not assembled the window back together because I noticed when I press the button for the window, the motor does nothing. does this mean I have faulty wiring somewhere? or does the motor have to be connected to the apparatus in order for it to be functional?

A: When a window moves slowly, 99 out of 100 t...

When a window moves slowly, 99 out of 100 times the window motor is the correct repair. It is possible something else was wrong altogether though. Before you begin another round of diagnosis, make sure the window lock switch on the driver’s door hasn’t been engaged, check all your fuses. All the fuses, not just the fuse for the windows. Usually, it will suffice to check all the fuses on the fuse block under the dash and the main one under the hood. If none of this results in an answer, you will need a test light to see if the master switch is sending power to the motor. Do all the other windows work?

If all of this fails, you could have a wiring problem. If you suspect this, test the master window switch a test light at the master switch. This bypasses all the wiring going to the window motor. If you have power and ground issues at the master window switch, I would be inspecting the section of wiring harness that passes through the door jamb of the driver's door.

If you decide you need help, I recommend getting some help from a qualified technician, such as one from YourMechanic, to diagnose your window that's moving slowly.

Good luck!