Q: Power steering warning on

Recently, the electro-mechanical power steering warning became illuminated in red on the dashboard. The car, despite being a relatively newer model, is now barely running. What could be causing this? How serious is this issue?

Hello. Most of the time, this is caused by a voltage issue. I would start by load testing the battery and the alternator. If there are any low voltage conditions, then this will occur. If there are not any, then the control module for the steering may be failing, which is not very common. If everything is fine with the battery and the alternator, then the module will need to either be reprogrammed or replaced. I recommend having a professional mechanic, such as one from YourMechanic, diagnose the power steering light to let you know exactly what needs to be done.