Q: Power steering quit working - 2001 Mercedes Benz SLK 320

When I was sitting in a parking lot with my car idling and my air conditioning on I heard a thud, clump sound. The battery light came on and the AC quit sending out cold air. I decided to move my car to a shady spot, but my power steering wasn’t working. The wheel was really stiff, and it took me a bunch of times to park evenly in my new spot. My car drove home OK but was very difficult. Do you have any ideas about what happened? How can I fix this? Thanks.

Hello. It sounds like your engine drive belt broke. That sound you heard followed by all of the systems that stopped working is indicative of a failed belt. I would open the hood and see if the belt was there. If it broken, then it will need to be replaced. I would check to make sure that all of the pulleys move freely first just to make sure nothing else causes it to fail. If you want this fixed, consider YourMechanic, as a certified technician can come to your home or office to diagnose and repair the steering problem.

3. Power steering quit working - 2001 Mercedes Benz SLK 320