Q: Power steering pump leak? / steering binding

I recently bought a 2007 tsx automatic with 127k on it. I noticed the steering would sound like rubber on rubber contact at a certain point when I turn all the way to the right .When I turn it all the way to the right when I reverse I have to manually turn back the wheel with some force.Today I recently noticed there's a good size leak at the power steering pump and it's running down but not yet dripping , can this leak be the cause of the steering problems?

The leak at the power steering pump should be fixed but the leak is not likely to be reducing the available pressure in the system. It is the hydraulic pressure (very high, on the order of 1,000 PSI or more) in the system that accomplishes the work, that is provides the steering assist. The reduced assist you are experienced could be due to a loose drive belt, faulty pump, hose restriction, low fluid level and/or binding anywhere within the steering mechanism and/or certain suspension components. The best way to proceed is to request a leak diagnostic and in the course of that, the technician will determine whether indeed the whole pump should just be replaced (if the pump is the cause of the lack of assist). The recommended service is power steering leak diagnostic - lack of assist. If you have further questions or concerns, do not hesitate to re-contact YourMechanic as we are always here to help you.