Q: Power steering issues - 2005 Mitsubishi Eclipse

My car started having issues steering and I was told that it was the power steering pump. I got that replace and probably the next day I started making the same noise again when I was turning the wheel except they got louder and worse. I was then told it was the rack and pinion. So I bought a rack and pinion and it should be getting placed on my car but the mechanic just called and told me it may not work because the noise has gotten worse and it sounds like it's the power steering pump. How can that be possible when I just replaced it 3 weeks prior to the work that's getting done now? I'm so lost and broke trying to figure this out.

A: I would recommend checking with the part ma...

I would recommend checking with the part manufacturer of the power steering pump as well as inquiring about the labor for when the power steering pump was installed the first time. This is not something that should have occurred a second time within a 3 week time period. As you may know, the rack and pinion and power steering pump work together to provide the added assistance for your steering ability. When the rack and pinion is not working or pumping fluid properly, this can cause the power steering pump to work harder than necessary and, in some cases, may burn it up.

When properly diagnosed, these two should be evaluated as a whole and then also individually to be sure that one is not working against the other. I would recommend having an expert mechanic, such as one from YourMechanic, come to your location to determine what is wrong with the car and replace the power steering pump if needed.