Q: Power Steering Gear Box Leak

Power Steering is leaking from the gear box. We bought the seal to replace it but were unable to remove the bar to get to the seal even with a Pitman arm puller. I am not sure what else to try to get this bar off or if I should take it somewhere for them to remove it. We have the parts, we just can't get to it.

A: Hi and thanks for contacting YourMechanic. ...

Hi and thanks for contacting YourMechanic. Take some WD-40 and spray it on the threads on the pitman arm. With the nut and bolt loose and removed, tap on the pitman arm side to aid in the removal. If the pitman arm will not come off, you can use a portable torch to heat up the pitman arm and then try to pry it off. If you are trying to get the ball joint arm off the steering link that is attached to the pitman arm, you will need a pickle fork and a large hammer to knock out the ball joint. If you need assistance, a certified YourMechanic technician can come to your location to help diagnose your leaking power steering fluid issue and help you with any repairs.