Q: Power loss

Hello! Today I was backing out of a parking space and when I shifted to drive, my car jerked and I lost all power, steering and break control. "check break system" flashed, The engine light, along with the wrench light was on. I was able to get my car out of the way and waited a few minutes and tried to restart it. It started and was able to drive home without any problems. What could have been the issue? I've had this car for 8 years with over 130,000 miles and I've never had an issue. Could it be throttle body failure?

Your car is equipped with wheel speed sensors at each of the four wheels which monitor wheel speed while relaying this information constantly to the ABS and traction control system which are controlled by the car’s ECU. When the ECU senses an abnormal speed given specific conditions, it engages the ABS or traction control as needed to control the vehicle properly and safely. Occasionally, these sensors can fail or become faulty working intermittently sending inaccurate signals to the ECU. When this happens, you may experience the symptoms you have described. The ABS or traction control system may be inadvertently activated by these false or inaccurate signals. I would suggest having a professional from YourMechanic come to your home to diagnose your ABS and traction control system.