Q: Possible vvt problems after piston change

Hi Ben I took my car into the dealership because I was ideling ruff and when I turned on my car the rpm stayed at 2.5 even when I was in park. The repair shop states they needes to do an oil consumption test which i did. They said i needed new pistons which i had done. I called the shop to get my car after they had it for 3 weekes and they said oh we werw about to call u. The check engine light came on after the piston qork so we need to keep it to figure out whats wrong. He said we think we need to adjust the way the engine uses air. I said ok. I called back the next day to find out the guy I spoke to was fired and magically my car was ready. I asked about the check engine light which was never prior to them getting my car. He said it was taken care of. Went to get my car and the same thing was happening. Cslled on star who gave a code saying yhrottle body needed repair. That was done got my car back took it gor a test drive and noticed it took a long time for the rpm to change.

Hi there. What you are describing is an incredibly odd way to diagnose a rough engine idle problem. First off, it’s highly unlikely that a piston has been damaged in less than four years and less than 100,000 miles - unless engine oil changes have not been completed as usual. Second, typically an engine idle problem as you’ve indicated is due to a vacuum leak or as Onstar correctly stated - a problem with the throttle body or other fuel system component. I’m not quite clear as to what services were actually completed by the other mechanic, but moving forward, I would recommend having a professional mobile mechanic come to your location to diagnose that throttle body problem first. From that point, they can speak with you about the previous repairs completed and recommend a course of action for you to take.

3. Possible vvt problems after piston change