Q: Possible faulty sensor

The transmission was previously serviced because of an engine light and computer diagnostic recommending replacing the solenoids. After it was fixed, the car dropped back into limp-in mode two blocks from the shop where it was fixed. It stayed locked in second gear to protect the transmission. A mechanic said it was a faulty sensor and started messing with wiring. Now, the wire harness is all apart lying on the engine. The car does not run.

Hello. Removing the wiring without knowing what you are doing is not a good thing. If the wiring is all apart it will need to be reinstalled first. I would typically reinstall the wiring and scan the computer for codes. If the codes were for failing shift solenoids or internal sensor issues then those need to be repaired. A fluid change will rarely help this. The most common failure on this car is the valve body itself. It would need to be replaced. Knowing the code number would definitely help to diagnose your car. If you plan on having the car repaired, consider YourMechanic, as a certified mechanic can come to your home or office to inspect this for you.