Q: Possible damage to engine due to previous owners error

I purchased a used car and i was told that the person that owned the car before me had recently serviced the car which i was okay with but i have found out that when he serviced the car he had un-done the draining bolt and drained all the oil out and after that he then got a garden hose and flushed water throught the bit you put your oil and let it flush through and out the bit the oil drains from has that caused damage or is the engine okay. It sounds fine and drives fine just curious to find out.

This is the first time in my 30 plus years as a master mechanic I have ever heard of someone flushing the engine oil with a garden hose. Are you sure the previous owner did not open the radiator drain and flush out the cooling system? The cooling system flush with a hose would be okay to flush out excessive debris from the cooling system. If the hose was put into oil crankcase then all the water may have washed out all the bearing from having oil in them and then when fresh oil was put in there would be water still left over and engine bearings may have been damaged when started.