Q: Possible car overheating

I just had the oil changed in my car, however, the temperature gauge still goes into the red. Problem is it's not every time I drive it, and there is no steam coming from the engine. Could it a faulty sensor or is the dial need adjustment? Or could it be something else?

A: This can be caused by a number of things su...

This can be caused by a number of things such as low coolant levels, a faulty thermostat, or a faulty temperature sensor. The temperature sensor relays the temperature of the coolant to the car's computer that uses this information for many different functions.

The coolant fan switch helps to maintain the proper coolant temperature by turning on and off at specific temperature thresholds. When this switch is not working properly, this can cause the fans to come on intermittently, all the time or sometimes not at all. When this happens you will notice a temperature spike and drop occasionally as the fan comes on and off. When your thermostat is not working properly or is stuck closed, this will not allow the coolant to properly circulate through the engine, which may cause the engine temperature to fluctuate erratically or in some cases just remain hot. I would suggest having an expert from Your Mechanic come to your home to diagnose your cooling system.