Q: Popping noise while shifting manually on a 2004 Volvo XE 90

2004 Volvo XE 90. Transmission shifts smoothly but when I use manual shift, it seems to make a popping noise in downshifting. Should I change the fluid or leave it alone until it starts shifting bad?

A: Leave it alone. That's a Volvo. I'm...

Leave it alone. That's a Volvo. I'm amazed it still shifts decently as old as it is. Because they have horrible automatic transmissions. I would just say leave it alone and don't ever mess with manual shifting on a Volvo. That's an old system and you can break something. Then when you find out that's 4-5,000 dollars to rebuild the transmission, you are not going to be happy camper. If this becomes a bigger problem, you may want to enlist the help of a professional, such as one from YourMechanic, to inspect your shifting issue and let you know exactly what needs repair.