Q: Popping noise when turning the car

At low to mid speeds when I turn, I hear a popping noise that I can feel through the floor board. It's just one single pop. Not sure what I could be. I've checked ball joints, sway bars, and tie rod ends and they all seem good and tight.

Hi and thank you for contacting YourMechanic. There are 2 main causes for this popping sound.

First off, your tie rod end needs to be replaced. A quick check for this is if you notice that when you turn the steering wheel there is a lot of play before the wheels start turning.

Secondly, your ball joints may need to be replaced also. You can check this by applying the emergency brake, chock your rear tires and place your truck on jack stands, with the front wheels off the ground. Place your hands at 12 and 6 then rock the tire back and forth, if there is any movement your ball joints need to be replaced.

If you would consider, YourMechanic can send a certified technician to you and perform these test to accurately diagnose the popping noise you’re hearing and make any necessary repairs. Thank you!

3. Popping noise when turning the car